The Johnny Bench Award
"Presented to the collegiate catcher whose talent, toughness, and integrity most closely resembled the legend after whom the award is named."
The Johnny Bench Award, proudly sponsored by BaseballSavings.com, is presented to the nation's most outstanding collegiate catcher, Johnny Bench, arguably the greatest catcher of all time, agreed to be the namesake for the annual award, which has accurately predicted some of MLB's next biggest stars.
The Johnny Bench Award is presently annually to the nation's top collegiate catcher as voted on by Division I coaches. A watch list is compiled from nominations received from the universities and released in March.
A selection committee will then narrow the list down to the semifinalists. Statistical information on each semifinalist is then compiled and sent to the national selection committee by the end of May. A vote by the national selection committee narrows the list to three finalists.
Another vote during the College World Series will determine who will be named the Johnny Bench National Collegiate Catcher of the Year. The three finalists will be brought to Wichita, KS for the awards banquet on June 29th, 2017.
Notable Past Winners
- 2001 - Kelly Shoppach, Cleveland Indians
- 2003 - Ryan Garko, Cleveland Indians
- 2004 - Kurt Suzuki, OAK, MIN, WSH, ATL
- 2005 - Jeff Clement, SEA, PIT
- 2008 - Buster Posey, 3x World Series Champ
- 2010 - Bryan Holaday, Detroit Tigers
- 2012 - Mike Zunino, Seattle Mariners
- 2013 - Stuart Turner, Cincinnati Reds
- 2014 - Max Pentecost, TOR Blue Jays #8 Prospect
- 2016 - Zack Collins, CHI White Sox #10 Prospect
- Bold = MLB active
- Italics = Minor Leagues
Congratulations 2017 Winner Collegiate Catcher of the Year
Oral Roberts University
Drafted by the Texas Rangers in the 3rd round with the 104th overall pick.
- David Banuelos, Long Beach State, was drafted by the Seattle Mariners in the 5th round.
- Brent Diaz, Louisiana Tech, was drafted by the Milwaukee Brewers in the 29th round.